Do you have your heart set on studying your Master of Business Administration and want to know how to apply for a student visa in Australia? Or if it is necessary to get one when studying a short course?
Australia is a great country to study in, with plenty of quality universities, schools, and practical vocational colleges open to international students. Read on to find out more about the exact visa you will need, and how to go about applying for it.
How To Apply For a Student Visa in Australia
If you are planning on taking a short course or program that lasts a maximum of 12 weeks, then your best bet is to use a tourist visa. You can also study for slightly longer (16 weeks) on a working holiday visa. However, if you plan on enrolling in a university or taking a longer course, such as a Master of Business Administration, you will need to apply for an Australian student visa.
To get one of these visas, you will first need to apply for the course that you are interested in studying. Once accepted, you will need to have your Confirmation Of Enrolment (CoE) along with all necessary supporting documents to apply for an Australian 500 Student Visa. As long as you meet all the requirements, applying to study in Australia as an international student is reasonably straight forward.
Student 500 Visa
You will need a subclass 500 student visa for studying in Australia. These are valid for up to 5 years and will be done in line with the course you are enrolled in. This visa will allow you to participate in your MBA or any other eligible program, as well as bring family members (your partner and dependent child) to Australia with you.
The visa will cost you AUD$620 at this moment, however the fee tends to increase slightly each year. You can apply for your visa inside or outside of Australia. To apply for a student visa in Australia, you will need to follow the steps below.
Applying For Your Student Visa: A Step By Step Guide
Here are the steps you will need to take to get your visa approved and make this a reality.
How To Apply For a Student Visa in Australia
If you are planning on taking a short course or program that lasts a maximum of 12 weeks, then your best bet is to use a tourist visa. You can also study for slightly longer (16 weeks) on a working holiday visa. However, if you plan on enrolling in a university or taking a longer course, such as a Master of Business Administration,
1. Choose Your Course
First, you will need to figure out exactly what you want to study, and where you will want to study it. There are plenty of universities in Australia offering globally ranked MBA courses. Browse through our Business Schools and read our MBA Guide to find out which program best suites your needs. Decide on the exact course before you start the application process.
2. Check the Requirements
Find out what kind of entry requirements are needed for the course. You will need to make sure to meet all of them if you plan on being accepted to the institution and receiving your visa.
3. Apply For Your Course
Before undergoing the visa application process, you will need to be enrolled in a course already. Therefore, the first thing to do is to apply for the course you have chosen. This can be done online on the institution’s website. Ensure you let the university or business school know you are an international student to ensure they provide you with all the documents you will need to get to apply for your 500 Visa. The MBA application process is covered in our MBA guide.
4. Receive Your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
As soon as you receive your letter of offer and accept it, you will then receive a Confirmation of Enrolment. With this document in hand, you are set to apply for your visa! Understand that the Australian Government requires you to have been officially accepted into a course before you can apply for a visa.
5. Apply For A 500 Visa Australia
Once you have the confirmation and supporting documents that you need, it is time to apply for your visa. You can do this online from anywhere in the world.
Documents Required For Your Student Visa in Australia
For you to successfully apply for your student 500 visa in Australia, you will need to make sure that you have all of the correct documents. These include:
- Your official confirmation of enrolment (CoE)
- You will need to hold proof of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
- Proof of financial means to support yourself during your stay in the country.
- A valid passport. Ideally, this will need to be valid for your entire stay in Australia.
- Proof of temporary stay. You will need to prove that you only plan on staying in Australia temporarily while you study. This could be something like a letter of employment, or a letter from your home country institution.
You will probably also be required to present additional documents. This can include ID documents, medical certificate, police clearance, proof of previous employment, and proof that you are qualified to pass your intended course of study.
Also, you might be required to attend an interview as part of your application.
Visa Application Tips
To make the visa application process as smooth as possible, it best to be well prepared in every aspect! Here are some top tips to help you during the application process.
- Understand all of the entry requirements that you will need to meet for your course and visa application. Make sure that you do meet these requirements, and have the documents to prove it.
- Being well-spoken in English is important when studying in Australia. You may need to prove your English language competency during the visa application process.
- The institution that you choose to study at will need to be CRICOS registered. This stands for Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. If your institution is not on this list, you might not be eligible to study there.
- For an Australian student visa, your course will need to be at least 3 months long and full-time.
Australia is a brilliant place to study in. Once your visa is approved, you can look forward to undertaking your chosen MBA course at a world-class institution in an amazing country. If you are still unsure on which course to take or where to live, the official Australia Government website for international students has some resources worth looking at. There are also some handy tips for life in the country once you arrive.